Monday, November 5, 2007

Is it Too Cold to Play?

How cold is too cold? For some paintballers, the outdoor season doesn't end until late November. I personally think this is crazy. If it is below 60 degrees or so, I'm not playing. For instance, I believe the last couple weeks has been too cold to play (at least for me). If I do play in this temperature, I feel like my mobility is decreased dramatically and I get all "stiff-kneed" and dont want to kneel.

The only time I would play from November to February would be in an indoor field. However, there aren't that many good indoor fields around. I have only been to three different indoor fields in my experience. Two of them were terrible. One had espestos exposed from the walls (I'm not sure how it was legal for people to be in that building), and the other was a tiny space trying to be a big field. Try playing 7 on 7 in your garage and you'll know how I feel. Wildcat, the field I reviewed before, had a short lived, well designed indoor field during the summer. Sadly, they had to close it down because of zoning issues. All of the other indoor fields I know of that are close to me are up near Chicago. Who wants to drive 3 hours? Not me.

Other fields I know of welcome the cold and even hold Christmas tournaments where all of the refs dress up as Santa and the elves. It seems like a fun idea, but if I won't slide when the leaves are still on the trees, what makes you think I'm going to be diving into the snow? No, thanks. Clocktapus says "call me a panzy, but I'll see you all at the indoor fields (if I can find one close by)."

No comments: