Thursday, November 29, 2007

Trapping: A Part Time Job

When the first settlers came to America, and many years after that, many people made a living from trapping furbearing animals. Today the furs are not as valuable as they were back then but one can still make some side money. My grandpa trapped and so did my dad and uncles, but I will admit I have never trapped. I have been doing some research on trapping because I am considering taking it up as a hobby and for some extra money.

I found that it is $17 for a trapping license and a trapping education course is not required but it is offered. The main animal I am interested in trapping is the raccoon. There are a lot of raccoon in my area and with living on a farm they are always getting into our grain elevator. The trapping season for raccoon is November 15 to January 31. My grandpa still has the traps he used and he said that I could use them. I have the traps so all I need is my license.

Another important part of trapping is knowing a fur buyer. I looked up the list of Indiana fur buyers and found that there is one just twenty minutes from my home. This weekend I plan to contact the fur buyer to find out what he offers for a fur and what kind of condition they must be in. By condition I mean whether he will take the whole animal or if a person has to skin it and stretch the skin. Right now the standard price for a raccoon skin is $14.

Hopefully I can get all the information I need soon so that I can put traps out during Christmas break. The law is that you must check the traps at least once a day so it will be hard for me to do it before break with school. Hopefully I will come back from break with some extra cash in my pocket.

No comments: