Friday, November 30, 2007

Time to Trap

Last night I called the fur buyer that is in my area. Rob, the fur buyer, told me that he will buy the whole animal instead of just the pelt. This is really good news for me because I didn’t want to trap if I had to mess with skinning and tanning the hides. He said that the price of a raccoon varies based on their size. He gives $8 for an average sized raccoon, which is 10-15 pounds.

I got online and purchased my trapping license on the Department of Natural Recourses website. The license was $17, so two nice sized coons will almost pay off my license. I have four traps and I plan to get at least four more out of my grandpas barn. I have seen many raccoons in one of my woods while deer hunting. I also have seen a couple fox so I might even try to trap some fox. I plan to set my traps in the areas where I have seen these coons and foxes.

Rob told me that the best thing to do with the animals after the catch is to put them in the freezer so the animals do not rot and them when I get several I can just take them to him. He also said that I could just hang them outside if the weather is below freezing so the carcasses will freeze. I am going to set some traps this weekend to try it out. If all goes well and I catch some furs, then I will be all ready to trap like crazy over Christmas break.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a lot of raccoon hides and I'm looking for someone to buy them. They have been skint out folded and put in freezer bags and frozen. Please contact me with some info. about your buyer
1-706-695-4899
Chatsworth GA.
Thanks
Keith White