Thursday, November 1, 2007

Pre-Shoot Preparation

I’m going to another shoot this weekend. However, this shoot isn’t a collegiate shoot it is just a NSSA registered shoot. This shoot is at Crooked Creek Gun Club in Noblesville, IN. The shoot consists of 200 rounds of skeet, 100 12ga and 100 20ga. I stated in one of my earlier posts that I had trouble with my 20ga tube, so for this shoot I will be shooting 28ga for the 20ga event.

I now want to take this time to tell you a little about what I do before every big shoot I go to. I first start off by cleaning my gun; I run the Boresnake through the barrels and clean out my choke tubes. I then try to get all the unburnt powder out of the receiver. I then put a little grease on the ejectors and other moving parts.

I usually then try to make it out to the range for a little extra practice and make sure everything works properly. If I have any problems with a particular station I usually go back to that station and shoot a few extra rounds until I feel comfortable with it. When I get done shooting I wipe my gun down and put it away until I get ready to shoot the competition.

That night after I get done practicing I put all the shells I will need for the shoot in my bag and make sure I have everything else I need. I now make sure I have some WD-40 in my bag in case it does rain. I also make sure that my average card is up to date so I know what class I am shooting in.

Right before I get ready to start my round I do a couple of stretches just to wake up and get moving. I then try to clear my mind of everything else and just focus on shooting. After that I will step on a pad and mount my gun and just practice like I was shooting at one of the targets just to get the feel of my swing.

This is my pre-shoot routine anyone else that has their own routine or does something a little different or has any recommendations, please comment and share them.

No comments: