Thursday, November 29, 2007

Waterfowl Season

A week ago, November 21, waterfowl season opened up. Until this past weekend I was focused mainly on deer hunting because I had not shot a deer this year yet. Now that I have shot my buck, I am ready to go duck and goose hunting. One of my hunting friends is really into waterfowl hunting, so he is usually who I go hunting with. Him and his dad each have their own ground blind, which is a device you lay in and two doors go over the top of you and when the birds fly in you flip open the doors to shoot (pictured to the left). These are nice blinds to have for hunting in a field but they are very expensive. The blinds usually aren’t any cheaper than $200.

I am not interested in spending that much money so this year I decided to try to make a ground blind. On the internet I found one that a guy made out of a trash barrel by cutting it in half and bolting the two tops of the half’s together so he could lay in it. This design looked great because he got a barrel with big wheels on it so it could just be wheeled out into the field. After looking at several stores, we couldn’t find a barrel that would have big enough wheel to go through the field. The only ones that had big wheels were in people’s driveways and belonged to waste management. Yes it did run across our mind to just steal one but we decide it would be obvious we stole it if it said waste management on the side.

A couple days later my friend realized he had an old car topper lying around that he never uses. By cutting some door flaps, adding some paint, and some wheels we decided we could make it work. This will also be handy for putting the decoys and other blinds in to wheel them out into the field. We haven’t actually had time to make it yet but we have it all planned out. Hopefully it will turn out good and make waterfowl hunting even more enjoyable.

No comments: