Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Big Game War Journal #1

My team and I stepped onto the field; we had been led to a smaller cut down field in the middle of the park. It was long and narrow; there were groups of trees throughout the field and a small barrel field on the right. The uneven ground was riddled with small hills and shallow ditches.

The horn blew and teams scattered off the break. My team and I broke off from the larger group and ran towards the barrel field. Four of our men ran and slid up against the stacked barrels. My friend and I took cover in a patch of trees a few yards back and started laying down cover fire from the tips of our flatline barrels as the rest of the team spread out. We got caught in a fire fight for a good five to ten minutes and then I notice that things were starting to turn.

I could see a massive amount of players walking away with their guns held high in the air. There was just one problem. They were all walking back towards me and the other team was advancing quickly. I watched as my teammates up at the barrel field were taken out one by one. Then I caught the rest of my team start to fall out of the corner of my eye. I looked around and noticed that out of the twelve of us that had started the game, there were only three of us remaining.

The three of us pulled back to an L shaped fence at the right back part of the field. It was about four feet tall and it had slits in it just wide enough to stick the end of a barrel through. We took some shots out of the slots, taking out a few of the advancing players that were unaware of our presence. However, we quickly realized that this strategy was not working. We were taking out a few players but soon we would overrun, we had to rethink our plan, but to what? We were sitting ducks and the other team was just getting closer and closer. As the bullets flew over our heads we decided we had to make our last stand then and there.

We pulled our barrels away from the slots and checked to make sure that we all had enough ammo. After we were sure we had everything set up that needed to be, we counted to three. One, I could start to feel the anticipation of the attack, the adrenaline coursing through my veins. Two, I started to get nervous, unaware of how things were going to go in that next second. Then, three, all of the feeling and emotion seemed to leave my body. The three of us rose up above the fence and unloaded as fast as we could. One guy came streaking from our left side of the field and was instantly painted yellow as our trio of guns traced him and fired. We continued to fire, shooting everyone that came within range. We pooled our resources, giving and taking ammunition as we needed it. The fight lasted for no more than five minutes but it felt like a lifetime. It was one of those moments when your senses seem to peak and time stands still.

Now I’d like to say that we came out of the battle on top but as we shot part of the other team flanked to the left and opened fire. I suddenly felt a thump in the side of my mask, followed by the unmistakable taste of paint. I stood up and raised my gun and as I did was pelted by more paint as the other team continued to fire on the other two. I walked off the field and turned to see the last of my teammates suffer my same fate.

The game was a loss but it was not forgotten. As the three of us left the field countless numbers of the other team approached us and commended us on our effort. We hadn’t realized we were the last ones from our team left on the field.
I know I already have this pic on another blog but this is actually the field we played on. The barrel field is to the right and the fence is to the left.

No comments: