Friday, September 28, 2007


I was surfing the Internet this past weekend and fought that there was another college shooting that happened this Friday at the Delaware State University. There were two students shot and injured, one in critical condition and the other hospitalized. The college actually shut down the campus until Saturday and made students stay in their dorm rooms. I thought this was a little drastic to actually cancel classes and tell students they can’t go anywhere since the shooter only shot two people and wasn’t just going on a killing spree. Cops eventually arrested the man involved in the shooting and are charging him with attempted murder and possession of a firearm during a felony. For full details follow this link to Reuters.

Yes I feel bad for the victims and their families but I am also concerned about what will happen now with gun laws. With every school shooting I feel that we are getting closer and closer to stricter gun laws and gun bans. I also think that with more and more college shootings colleges will get rid of their shooting sports teams. Many colleges have already gotten rid of their shooting teams and I think that colleges with teams remaining will consider phasing out the sports. This personally affects me because I shoot on the Purdue Trap and Skeet Team and I know that Purdue doesn’t support us as much as I thought they would. Not that I’m complaining but Purdue only provides the transportation to and from shoots. This is still a tremendous help because that is probably the most expensive part of a shoot. Hopefully colleges will not take away the shooting programs but I am sure that gun laws will be stricter especially with the upcoming presidential election.

No comments: