Saturday, September 22, 2007

Sub-gauge Tubes


On one of my recent posts I talked about UPS losing one of my Briley sub-gauge tubes and so now I am going to write a review about the tubes. I recently got a set of Briley’s new Revolution fitted tubes. I upgraded from Briley’s Sidekicks that did work good for me for 2 years and would have worked fine if I didn’t want to get really competitive in shooting. It took me 6 weeks to get the tubes from Briley but it was well worth it in the end. I have been satisfied with my tubes even though I did have problems with one of the 20ga tubes all the others have worked flawlessly and are much easier to put in my gun than the Sidekicks. For those of you who haven’t seen the new style tubes they are hammered in differently than the traditional style. Instead of hammering on the top of the tubes you actually use special tools that you actually insert down the tube and hammer on that. This I believe is less stress on the tube and will be better than the traditional style of hammering the tubes in. This is not the only improvement I believe that the larger extractors also help to improve the performance of the tubes. They are supposed to allow you to shoot the cheaper shells that did not eject well in the traditional sub-gauge tubes. I have personally not tried them but I’m sure I will sooner or later.


When I bought mine I bought the Ultralite tubes so I wouldn’t have as much of a weight difference, and so far I am pretty satisfied. I have noticed a little bit of a difference in the weight but not enough to get a barrel weight. I was not recommended to upgrade to the Ultimate Ultralite just because of the shear price to benefit ratio but if you want the best that is definitely the way to go. I also bought an Americase to keep my tubes, gun and all the extra stuff needed to care for the tubes. I would recommend the two-barrel Americase to anyone even if you don’t have an extra barrel just for the extra storage. The best place to find one I found was on e-bay just as long as you start looking whenever you send your gun in because you will have to be patient and wait for what you want and get a good price. So these products are my recommendations for the week.

No comments: