Thursday, October 4, 2007

3-man Stories: The First Win

I recently talked about different types of tournaments that exist in paintball. As I said before, 3-man is mainly for beginners. The first 3-man tournament I was ever in (with the team I currently play with), we won. I’m not trying to say we are the best team ever, quite the opposite. The stage was set for us to lose, and all odds were against us; but somehow we managed to pull victory out of the jaws of defeat in the very last game. The team consisted of me (of course), Big C, and Chan. We were one of the youngest teams there, but by no means the worst or least experienced. We had many practices under our belts and we were ready to win.
We barely made it to the finals. Out of the thirteen teams in the tournament, six went to finals and we were in that sixth spot. Due to some stupid play and uncharacteristic losses, we came into finals behind even the teams that we were clearly better than. The teams in first and second were older guys that had been playing for a lot longer than anyone else in the tournament and should have clearly won. Despite all of this, I assured the refs that the Cinderella team would come out on top this time.
It all came down to the very last game. The points were set in such a way that whichever team won this game, won it all. The head ref called for the silent ten second count and the game began. And just like that, in the first 3 seconds, Big C and I were out and Chan was all alone against the best team in the tournament. While venting my anger in the dead box I heard cheering coming from the sideline and notice that Chan had shot one of the other team out. “So what it’s only one guy.” I hear a ref call out “Player eliminated!” I immediately think it is Chan but then came more cheering. Chan had shot out the other team’s back player. It was one on one. All the other team’s last player had to do was grab the flag and they won the tournament (as the points stood). He reached for the flag, inches away from it. Chan shot his hand away from the flag, giving us the win and first place. Clocktapus has only one word to say about this story “Owned”.

No comments: