Tuesday, October 2, 2007

International Skeet: A Whole New Ball Game

Well I shot my first round of International Skeet/Olympic Skeet today and it was definitely more difficult than I thought it was going to be. For those of you that don’t know the rules of International Skeet, they are fairly simple. The stations are the same but the orders you shoot the birds are different. On station one, two, and three you shoot high single and doubles (high first). On station four you shoot high single then low single then two sets of doubles (high first double then low first double). On station five and six you shoot low single then double (low first). On station seven you just shoot a double (low first). Also you cannot mount the gun until the bird is out of the house and there is an automated 0-3 second delay on when the bird comes out. On top of this the birds are moving about 15mph faster than in American Skeet.

I figured with my experience in skeet it wouldn’t be too bad. I figured sense it is basically just doubles and regular skeet combined with a trap delay, low gun mount and faster birds I could get used to it after a couple of stations. I was wrong, the low gun and the delay are a very difficult addition to the game especially on station 8. The pure fact that you never know when the bird is going to come out of the house and you can’t mount your gun until it does, starts to mess with your mind.

I am not writing this to discourage anyone from trying International Skeet it is definitely a lot of fun but it takes getting used to. I am definitely hooked and can’t wait to shoot again just because it is something new and a challenge. I would recommend anyone who wants to try it to find a range close to them that shoots International and give it a shot.

Vincent Hancock, only person to shoot perfect round of 150 birds in International Skeet

No comments: