Monday, October 22, 2007

Young Buck

In my last post, titled “O Deer”, I talked about seeing a small seven point buck Friday evening. The next evening I took my twelve year old brother out to the same spot so maybe he could shot the small buck. This is his first year hunting so he still has a lot to learn. He has a Pearson bow that is pulling 35 pounds which is the minimum you can shoot a deer with. I have been practicing with him a lot so that he is shooting accurately.

We went out to the woods at five and set up my small fence blind. We waited for about 20 minutes and a doe came walking by at fifteen yards. I whispered to my brother to wait because I was pretty sure that buck was going to be coming by pretty soon. The doe went on past and we continued to wait. About thirty minutes later the buck came along. He was only about ten yards away and just inside the woods. The buck had to come into the field for my brother to get a shot. As my brother was slowly getting ready for the buck to come into the field, he spotted us. The buck bolted and he didn’t come back. We saw eight doe come into the field about an hour later. After they passed, it was dark so we left.

Hunting with a bow on the ground is very hard to do without getting busted. Next time I take my brother out I will see if he is comfortable with sitting alone in my tree stand instead of on the ground bellow it. Deer usually will not see you if you are of the ground more then fifteen feet. My brother will have an a lot better chance of shooting that buck if he is in a tree. That buck has a pattern of coming to that spot so there will be other opportunities.

No comments: