Thursday, October 25, 2007

Heads Up

Squirrels are entertaining and annoying at the same time while deer hunting. It seems I see twice as many squirrels while deer hunting as I do when I am actually squirrel hunting. I know that this happens mainly because I am not shooting the first squirrel I see when I am deer hunting so it allows all of the squirrels to come out of their nests. Also the fact that I normally deer hunt from a tree stand makes a difference. When you are sitting on the ground the squirrels can easily see you from the tree tops, where as in a tree stand you just look like part of the tree.

When the squirrels start to come out they make a lot of noise which can sometimes spook the deer or even give away your position. I have already had many close encounters this year with squirrel while deer hunting. A couple weeks ago I had squirrel come down the tree next to me. By the time I realized it was there, it was close enough that I could reach over and grab it. When I turned and looked at it I think I scared it as much as it scared me. The squirrel took off into the tree wondering what I was.

I also have had many squirrels jump into the tree top of the tree my stand is in. This sends a very indescribable pulse down the tree that travels through your spine. There is no other feeling quite like it and you will only know it when you feel it. Most of the time these squirrels will jump on to another tree top, except for the curious one.

I could feel that pulse in the tree getting closer and closer. I kept looking up, but couldn’t see anything. Finally, I looked up and there was a big squirrel five feet directly above my head and looking straight down at me. Still curious, it kept coming at me. Soon after, I stood up to scare it off because it was too close for my comfort.

This is just a warning to all you other deer hunters. If you feel a strange pulse from the tree, then you might want to look up because there could be a squirrel closer to your head then you think.

No comments: