Thursday, October 4, 2007

Licensed to Kill


With all the different hunting seasons starting up, I thought it would be a good idea to explain the process of taking a hunter’s education course and getting a hunting license. It is important to get a hunting license before hunting or you could get an ugly fine from the DNR if you are caught without it. Before you can get your hunting license you have to take a hunter’s education course. It is just like taking the diver’s education course before you can get your driver’s license.

The DNR and Parks Department in your area usually offer the course. It is normally a full two day course that teaches you gun safety and about respecting wildlife. You can also take the course online at Today’s Hunter if you live in the ten states that the online course is offered. I took my hunter’s education course through Today’s Hunter. This way is a lot easier to work around your schedule but it takes more time to study the material. You basically study the material and then pay $15 to take a multiple choice test. You want to try to pass the test the first time because you have to pay $15 every time you have to retake it. I studied the material enough that I passed on my first try. After you pass the test they will send you your certification card and then you can get your license.

Hunting licenses are done differently in different states. I am going to discuss the Indiana licenses since I am familiar with them. The cheapest license is for youth, which is 18 and under. The license costs seven dollars and it is a hunting and fishing combo. Once you are 18 or above it costs $25 to purchase the hunting fishing combo. Other licenses such as trapping, turkey, waterfowl, and trout cost an additional amount. The full list of prices can be found on the DNR website. These licenses can be purchased at most sporting good stores, Wal-Mart, Meijer, or online at Access Indiana. I buy my licenses online every year. I think it is easiest to do it online because you just print it out.
Once you have done this you are licensed to kill. I mean licensed to hunt wild animals that is. Just remember to carry your license with you when you are hunting. You don’t want to be caught with out it when the DNR officer stops you and asks to see it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think now the only way you can get a license in IN is online. Even if you go to a store all they do is log onto the Internet, enter your info then print out your license. This advancement saves a lot of time, paper,and energy(especially for small sporting goods stores).