Wednesday, October 17, 2007

What is a Poser?

This post is going to have a little less to do about paintball. I feel a little responsible for the throwing around of the word poser. I had no idea it was going to offend so many people. But I think it is all due to a misunderstanding. The Dimer recently experienced what it is like to have a poser on his team, thought back to my description, and made a comment affirming my depiction of the poser. Why does that make him a douche? It seems that people are getting riled up about the word poser because they are thinking that I (and others) are calling those who go out to play paintball for fun every now and then posers. I'm not! I've said this before, these people are called recreational players and we know that.

Next let's discuss what a poser is (in anything). It is someone who pretends to be something they are not. Let's say there's someone who thinks they know a lot about music, but in reality knows very little. When talking to people who actually know a lot about music, they will instantly reveal their ignorance. There was a comment about 15 year old kids who think they're badasses with their $1000 guns that they don't know how to fix. Gee, that sounds to me like a poser. And yes, yes I know that dressing in appearal that is all from one company does not necessarily make you a poser (remember I was speaking in general terms).

There was also a comment about teams that act incredibly arrogant and name drop for their sponsors and stuff like that. These people are equally annoying as posers (I know because I have played with some of them). But in most cases it is not everyone on the team that is cocky and obnoxious. Like in many things, there are usually genuinely nice guys that inherently hold the team together. You just tend to notice the loud, cocky guys more because well....they're loud and cocky. And now, Clocktapus says "Lets put an end to all of this poser fighting".

1 comment:

The Dimer said...

Good post! I can only hope that now everyone understands what the term means and hopefully we have seen the last of the "poser" influenced arguements.